Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: canon xl 1s

  1. #1
    Inactive Member rocki's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello I am new to film making and I wont to make a short film, my question is what type of camera can I use to shoot my film can it be done with home cameras. I am planning to purchase canon xl 1s camera can you tell me if this camera is good for filmmaking.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member rcroster's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2002
    Posts
    43
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Canon XL1s is a fairly high end prosumer video camera (unless you're thinking the Canon 1014XL-S super 8 movie camera) The XL1s uses MiniDV as its acquisition medium and unlike most MiniDV cameras it has an interchangable lens. I believe there is an adapter for it that lets one use Canon lenses that were originally made for their 35mm still cameras. Anyway, the real question is, do you want to shoot in film or video?

  3. #3
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I believe there is an adapter for it that lets one use Canon lenses that were originally made for their 35mm still cameras. Anyway, the real question is, do you want to shoot in film or video?
    <That's true.The move 28 Days Later was shot with XL-1's fitted with such lenses.What they spent on that movie to get a palatble image from Mini DV to film,theycould've shot 35mm as I understand.They were making some sort of statement,I'm told.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member rcroster's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2002
    Posts
    43
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You're right. Also, Steve Soderbergh (sp) shot his 'reality' scenes of the movie Full Frontal with the PAL version of the XL1 and then intercut it with scenes depicting a movie (within a movie) with 35mm. The contrast is stark. Perhaps the video shot images could have been made better but I think that was the point, a gritty rough and contrasty image (reality) set against the perfect images of the film within a film scenes. As for 28 Days, I guess I will need to rent that and see for myself. Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •